May 1, 2014

Review: Lush Herbalism Cleanser


Yes, another Lush review. No, still don't work for them but these products honestly are what I have been using and I wanted to add my two cents. ^.^

I hadn't been planning on trying the cleansers but when I went to buy my fresh face masks, I got talked into it (Aren't the lush associates the best sales people ever? They can talk you into anything). She recommended Herbalism and Fresh Pharmacy, which of course I had to get since I'm a pharmacy student! So I asked for small chunks of each, about $5-7 worth, just to give them both a try. I have yet to try Fresh Pharmacy so I will focus on Herbalism for now.


When you walk into Lush, they have this giant green roll that I had always noticed but never really considered as it didn't look particularly appealing to me. Also, the price tag always threw me off. $63 per pound seems really expensive. As you can see, I got a little over a tenth of a pound and it came out to $7.25. Looking at it, it seems like a really small amount however I started using this towards the end of January and I'm just now reaching the end of it (maybe 1-2 weeks left) so you actually get quite a lot. For the price of a drugstore cleanser, you not only get something more natural and handmade, but just as much if not more product. So I'm definitely a convert. No more buying drugstore cleansers for me!

I thought this cleanser worked quite well for my skin. It's meant to be used for problem skin but really, I think anyone can use this. I always used a makeup wipe beforehand to remove my makeup and I would not recommend counting on this cleanser to double as a makeup remover. What you do with this is you break off a small chunk (and I found that a very small bit was sufficient for my whole face) and you run it under some water to soften it and massage it into your face. It can be quite messy as it does tend to "fall apart" when you add water. I'd advise you to get a demo at Lush to see what I mean. If you're not careful you can wind up losing chunks of it down the drain, which is why I recommend breaking off small bits beforehand. Another way to help avoid wasting product is to work it into your face in small sections. I typically take a tiny bit and work it into my forehead, take another bit and work it into one side of my face and finally use the rest on the other side. I think this cleanses quite well and I have noticed fewer breakouts since starting this. But I also started using the fresh face masks around the same time so I don't know which has a better effect on breakouts. But regardless, I enjoyed this enough to repurchase in the future.

Doesn't look like much but lasted me over 3 months!
My Tips:
1. Break into small, single use pieces beforehand. That way, when you go to cleanse your skin you have ready made pieces and won't accidentally break off too much or too little.
2. Transfer to another container. I used an empty moisturizer jar. More airtight and easier to use than the cardboard box they give you.

From the Lush website: "Battling with oily, blemish-prone skin? Cleanse with Herbalism and experience the power of herbs. Its gently exfoliating, deep-cleansing base of kaolin clay and rice bran mops up excess oils, and a toning blend of rosemary, nettle and chamomile leaves skin feeling fresh, clean and calm. This gentle green giant contains chlorophyllin, which is extracted from alfalfa plants: it’s rich in nourishing vitamins and minerals, and helps to balance out your skin’s oil production. Say hello to clear, balanced skin!"

Close up to see the texture
At a Glance

Rating: 9/10
Cost: $63.00/lb (price varies depending how much you ask for)
Size: varies
Pros: gentle, little goes a long way, works well
Cons: messy, must be careful not to waste product
Repurchase?: Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment